Tuesday, July 1, 2008

And the kitchen sink

Taylor and I are gearing up for a road-trip to Birmingham for the Fourth. My parents are trekking down from Iowa, and we are all staying with my sister and Dirk. Ah, Dirk. I hope you’re ready for this. Chris has to work all weekend, of course. After eight years, I’m finally coming to grips with the fact that golf pros ALWAYS have to work on holidays and events where normal people have off. Because when normal people don’t work, they golf. And because the Fourth of July ranks second to Christmas for the Young family, I am so, so happy to be able to spend the holiday with my parents and Libba. I only wish we could transport Will in from Colorado, flip over a cattle tank and set off fireworks via farm-style. Maybe next year.

In the event of making the drive and three-night stay away from home with Taylor for the first time, I started making lists of all of the gear I’ll have to bring for her. And because I don’t know what’s a necessity and what’s a convenience, there are about 500 things on the list. The stroller, the bouncy chair, the bouncy-chair attachment, the Boppy, the Pack-n-Play, blankets, diapers, wipes, rattles, lullaby cds, eight pacifiers, 10 outfits. You get the idea. I’ve pretty much filled the car already, with only a toothbrush and underwear for me. Isn't it amazing how much stuff is required for someone who weighs less than 15 pounds? I know I’m going to forget some very important Taylor-thing, but at least I’ll have five extra lap-pads just in case.

And even though we’re not leaving until Thursday morning, I want to get everything done today because Chris is getting back in town from playing in a tournament in Myrtle Beach. He’s only been gone since Sunday, but we’ve really missed him. And I’m pretty sure that when we hear the beep from his car-lock tonight, Ruby, Taylor and I are going to be waiting at the door, tackle him to the ground and cover him in kisses.

4 comments:

Libba said...

And Sipsey, Dirk, and I will be waiting at the door when you arrive to cover YOU in kisses :-)

~Juli said...

Good luck with packing! You have to have all of those "just in case Taylor needs it" items which pretty much fills your trunk and back seat! You better roll up your underwear just like they come in the package to create additonal space for baby items :) Have safe travels and enjoy your family!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your drive......you're a brave lady! Have fun with your family! I bet Grandma and Grandpa can't wait to see their precious Taylor. She is adorable and I can't wait to meet her in October! Aunt Sandy

Stephanie said...

Traveling with an infant....it's crazy how much stuff they need (or we think they need) We bought a mini van the week after Elly was born. ( yes, I am a proud mini van driver! ) I'm sure you'll have some great pictures to share when you return. Have a wonderful time and give your family my love!