Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A little slice of heaven

Well, the Famous Amys caravan landed back in Asheville yesterday afternoon, and with most of today spent regrouping, unpacking and doing laundry, I can finally reflect on the wonderfulness that was the last five days we spent at Folly Beach. And even though the weather barely got above 60 degrees, it was one of the more heavenly beach trips I’ve ever taken. Our rental was a great condo that was right on the beach and only two blocks from Center Street. Breathtaking views and a stone’s throw from the crab shacks and pubs. Perfect.





Chris and I took off for the coast on Friday morning, leaving Ruby at the kennel and Taylor-tot with Grandma. And even though I had never been away overnight from my daughter, no real tears were shed. For two reasons – I was totally confident that Sue would not be more than two inches away from Taylor the whole time, and Chris and I hadn’t been on a good, two-of-us road-trip in about ten months. Four hours of loud music and hilarious conversations, mostly of the cuteness which is our daughter.



So being first-time child-free parents, of course we proceeded to drink a few too many cocktails, stay up way past our bedtime and relish being able to eat in public without cleaning up banana poofs from under the table. We also just relaxed, read our books and enjoyed Folly Beach. Chris and I have been making annual trips to Folly since we moved to Asheville six years ago. It’s a small island, just south of Charleston, that embraces a laid back atmosphere and good food. On Saturday early-afternoon, we were lucky enough to catch the first-ever Folly Gras parade though town. Which basically consisted of a band, half the town dressing up and throwing beads, and the world’s strongest Bloody Mary.





We were also happy to have beers with our fabulous friends, Megan and Patrick, who are Asheville-transplants that moved to the beach a few years ago. And, as always, we enjoyed catching-up and drank way too much.



On Sunday morning we soaked up the sunshine on our porch, took numerous deep, sighing breaths, and then met up with Sue and Taylor just outside of town. And as fun as it was to sleep in and relax on the beach, the smile that my daughter gave me when I saw her for the first time reminded me of why I have the best job in the entire world. And because the wind on the beach was pretty rough, we only brought her down to the water a few times. But she really seemed to enjoy it.







Especially the seagulls.



We all had a lot of fun at the beach. And Taylor definitely had a lot of fun being spoiled by her Grandma for the past week. And now, for the next few days, our routine will consist of non-stop playtime, guided walking throughout the entire house and 45-minute bubble baths that involve half the toys in the nursery. So, yes, I was sure to get in my last shower before Sue flew out this morning. Nothing’s more brutal than a grandparent-hangover.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Brooke, your vacation looks fabulous. It's nice to have an adult getaway sometimes. Just what wonderful moms and dads deserve.

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! It's a little late, I know. I didn't get a giant chocolate bar to you this year;)

Little 'Nemos said...

AHHH to see the beach, we have snow and ice on the ground right now... yuck, why do I choose to live in IOWA:)
I love the piggy's in the previous post!!