And because sometimes I totally give in to the unreachable pressures some mothers like to put on each other – REALLY! Aren’t we all on the same team here! – I decided to get T a potty-seat cover for Christmas. A super-shiny one that is covered in Sesame Street characters. One that I KNEW would get a few oohs-and-ahhs from our princess when she unwrapped it on Christmas day. And I was right. As soon as she ripped off the paper, she started screaming Elmoh! Elmoh! And Chris and I also smiled real big and kept saying, potty, Potty, POTTY, PAH-TEE. Hoping that somehow THAT would teach her how to use it and just potty train herself. Because, Darling, So-and-So’s daughter/granddaughter/kid they know just did it all by themselves. So we KNOW it’s possible, right?
And, Yes, we all crammed into the half-bathroom later that morning and took her diaper off and set her on the toilet. She didn’t DO anything, but she sure had a fun time swinging her legs, unrolling the toilet paper and scootching off the seat to point at Elmo. And when I’d say, Taylor. Do you have to go pee-pee? She look at me, give me the face and say, NOH!
So it’s three days later, and we’re not making much progress. And I’m not pushing it that much, because she’s SO not ready for this. She doesn’t give a you-know-what about having wet pants. Oh well. I’ll try again next month. But until then, she’s finding very creative uses for her new toy.
9 comments:
fly her to sioux falls...i will send her to our day care for a week and she will be potty trained. a little girl that goes to our daycare potty trained Ava for us. it was great! But i just know that Kye is going to be hard to train =( she will learn in time...do not push...its not worth it! suckers worked for us when she wouldnt go #2 at home! she loves sugar like your cute little T!!! good luck!!!
haha... I think it looks like a good place for dolls. I am no help, I have yet to potty train anything (especially Matt). Give her a book.. there is nothing like good potty time with even better reading material!
Do not fret! Thas my only advice. Scott and I refused to "train" ourselves" to get Jack to be potty-trained at an early age. And he did just fine. In 5 years no one will ever ask/know if Taylor was potty trained at 2 or 4! They will show signs just go with that. You are a GREAT mama!
Addison has the exact same potty seat! I love your response to people when they ask if she's potty trained (the ugly hair comment) That EXACT thought went through my head just the other day when some lady was all jacked up about me taking Colton "out of the house". Please lady. Mama needs to get out. Would you rather I leave him at home along? Anyway, getting off the subject there :) Addison pretty much potty trained herself so I have no advice. Right on her second b-day she just decided out of no where?! T will do the same!
I agree with Jenny...training ourselves is the hardest part! Definitely do not stress about it or push it, you will get no where. Sure, you can encourage it - with the potty seat, etc - and like Liz said, we had the little jar of M&M's in the bathroom, but only for when they did something (which can get tricky!). We didn't push it with Lil at all, because frankly I am lazy. :) And this last summer, 5 months shy of her 3rd bday, she did it - all on her own. One day of doing it and no pullups, not even at night, and she was good to go. On her terms though. So, don't fret mama - T will when she is darn good and ready! :)
I have nothing more to add that hasn't been said already. Grant did the same thing with his potty seat as T is, but instead of a dolly, it was a dinosaur. Same idea, right!? She'll get it, right along with every other kid!
You are doing just fine - I had a co-worker who' daughter was wearning panties at 1 1/2 (her daughter is one month older than Kellen)and I felt like loser Mom of the year! Well....anyway, it takes some adjusting but the real magic was the day I put him in underwear - he just decided to stop going potty in his pants - forget the pull-ups - They are too much like diapers (and you're right, those people have ugly hair!:)
Obviously this is a hot topic for mothers. And everyone has an opinion- family, friends AND total strangers. It's not just training the kid- like Jenny said- it's a big commitment for parents. And I think until something 'clicks' for the kid, it's like banging you head against the wall. With Brady, I struuuuuggled. (But I think boys are harder) So with El, I totally left it up to her and then it happened on her own.
So until she's ready- the potty ring makes a wonderful dolly bed!
That really hurts my feelings that you think my hair is ugly.... :)
Erica
Post a Comment