I think I mentioned a few weeks back that Taylor has recently become OBSESSED with Disney Princesses, and that all of her Dora the Explorer gear is slowly being replaced with books, stickers and pajamas with the faces of Snow White, Cinderella, Ariel and the gang. Adios, Dora. I can’t say it’s a sad goodbye.
And right as we were welcoming the new theme to our house, Chris’s mom was here and really wanted to buy her one-and-only grandchild a few Princess movies for her to obsess over. And for some reason, we couldn’t find a single Princess classic at any of the stores around us. None. Apparently those Nazis over at Disney like to release certain movies at certain times and keep the rest in a vault. Seriously?
And because we don’t practice something called PATIENCE in our house, instead of combing the internet or driving a million miles to a Disney store, we just settled and got Taylor a Disney Princess Collection DVD at Target, which showcased little snippets of stories from each Ariel, Belle, Cinderella and Princess Jasmine. And because she had never seen the real full-length movies containing any of those Princesses, she was in love. It is the most amazing thing she had ever seen. Her eyes light up just thinking about watching it. It is so wonderful that the minute she wakes up in the morning, she chirps, Pwin-cess, Mom? Pwin-cess? Air-ee-al-Belle-Cinderella-Jammin, Mom? Pwin-cess, Mom?
So for the past weeks, Taylor has been watching her Princess DVD while chowing down on her Cheerios, which allows me the free time to drink my gallon of coffee, play my Words with Friends and read the paper. And because I know who each of the Princesses are, and also because I understand and speak fluent-Taylor, I’ll ask her which story she wants to watch and she’ll tell me. A pretty easy routine that has resulted in everyone having a wonderfully relaxing and entertaining morning schedule.
Until a few weeks ago when I had an early morning dentist appointment and Chris was in charge of the breakfast routine. When I left, everyone was happy. When I came back, my daughter was pouting on the couch and my husband was pacing in the kitchen with crazy hair. And to hear Chris explain what went down just made me laugh out loud, She just kept yelling, Jammin, Daddy! Jammin. Pwin-cess JAMMIN! And how am I supposed to know who Jammin is? Which one’s Jammin? What kind of Princess is named Jammin? I’ve heard of Cinderella, but JAMMIN? Come on!
And it was at that moment that I was once again reminded of how out of his league my sweet husband is when it comes to Princesses and other girl-stuff. When he grew up, it was just him and his brother wrestling, throwing the football back and forth and watching Rambo and Karate Kid. I don’t even think he’s seen Sound of Music in its entirety. He has absolutely no idea what he’s gotten himself into. I’m afraid the minute the emotional-rollercoaster called Puberty hits our house, we’re gonna have to bolt the door and gate the windows to keep him from running for the hills. But until then, Taylor and I are gonna work harder at easing him into Girl-ville, one Disney Princess at a time.
7 comments:
Loved this post, Brooke. Remember when Dad would watch the baseball game and have a "runner" alert him to when our dance was up during recital?
I totally speak "quinn-talk!" And it seems crazy that not everyone gets it! Chris will have those princesses down in no time!
Sounds like the Princesses are there to stay. So, yep, give it another week or so and Chris will know them all by name and outfit and movie, also!
And it's SOOO nice when they graduate from Dora. She happened to be on the other day, and I just thought, Dora-Do you really have to YELL everything?
Sounds like the Princesses are there to stay. So, yep, give it another week or so and Chris will know them all by name and outfit and movie, also!
And it's SOOO nice when they graduate from Dora. She happened to be on the other day, and I just thought, Dora-Do you really have to YELL everything?
Cute post! He'll get the hang of those princesses. Travis has learned more about girls in the last 4 years they he ever thought possible :) Hmm, more of a challenge is me learning boy!
Hahaha this is too funny!
You go, Taylor! Next stop.....Princess Breakfast at Disney World!
Post a Comment