Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Because there's no way I'm giving up snacks right now

I mentioned in a previous post that I am in the middle of becoming a Catholic, and in that process I am taking part in all of the traditions and expectations buried within the faith surrounding the Lenten season. Last Wednesday Taylor and I adventured to church to receive our ashes - Her's which she immediately wiped off her head, Mine which she kept staring at all day and repeatedly asking me, Mom, what's on your face? Hey Mom, you got something on your face. Come here Mom, I need to wipe that off your face.

And since I'm in pretty deep with my conversion, we also enjoyed a fabulous meat-free Friday as a family this past weekend. And luckily for us, fish isn't considered a meat, so we were still able to totally pig out on avocado burritos and fish tacos at Papas and Beer that night. Because I only have five more weeks to satisfy all of the food cravings and indulgences that float through my extremely pregnant brain. And then it's mixed greens and roasted vegetables until I am back to my pre-baby bod.

And because I only have about a month left to stuff my face full of Nacho Cheese Doritos and jelly beans, the notion of giving up junk food or sugar for Lent was just setting me up for failure. Or misery. But most likely failure. Not much will-power going on in this house right now. So when a member of my RCIA class suggested alternatives to giving up something for Lent, I was thrilled to have another outlet to show my gratitude and faith during the 40 days of worship. And the alternative I chose is to donate my time and resources to a worthy charity.

And after sifting through a number of worthy organizations, both Chris and I decided to pledge our efforts to the American Red Cross. Of course I had heard of the Red Cross before and had solely associated them with their blood services and disaster relief efforts, but was amazed to learn of the integral role they also provide to the lives of our military men and women. And as the daughter/granddaughter of someone who has served our country, I am thrilled to be able to help an organization that alleviates any stresses and burdens bestowed on the people that protect our freedom and their families.

And in looking back at the many awful, devastating disasters that have occurred around the world in the past years - Most recently the earthquake and tsunami that has crippled Japan - the Red Cross is always right there with medical personnel and supplies to help. And they are there without fail. And while you are all aware of their efforts and dedication, many of you probably don't know that they are there without any taxpayer funding. None. Their ability to serve is solely dependent on fundraising efforts done on a local level. And right now, with the current crisis unfolding in Japan, they need our help more then ever.

And anytime I turn on the news or open the paper and read about a horrible tragedy that has occurred either halfway across the world or in the next state over, the first thing I do is become extremely thankful of all the blessings I have in my life, such as my health,my family, a roof over my head and a pantry full of food. And the next thing I do is wonder if there is anything I could do to help those in need after such a terrible disaster. And sadly, even though the thought is there, I never follow through. Well, now I am. And I'm hoping that some of you will help too.

Please take a moment and visit my Red Cross Heros link. It does a much better job describing ALL of the services it provides on both a local and global level. This is an organization that is a vital part of our community and our country, and they need our help. No donation is too small or too large, and any contribution is tax deductible. With our help, we can give the Red Cross the support it needs to continue on its mission to help, heal and assist all those in need. Thank you for your help.

1 comment:

Ms. Melody said...

This is the kind of commitment I could stick to! Good job, Brooke! {I donated... just a teeny bit... but I do a lot of donating and I know if every one person donated even just a teeny bit, it adds up fast!} Thanks for the opportunity! xo

PS~ I still laugh at you licking your computer screen! :)