It was a perfect
opportunity for Taylor ’s first camping experience. And a good
refresher for me. I mean, other than when I was under the age of two, the only
real camping trip I ever took was with my hometown bestie, Steph, and her
family to the Black Hills when I was in junior high. So you can call me a bit
of a camping novice. But, Hey! who’s up for an adventure?
And after
overpacking the back of Chris’s car – We needed to cross two rivers to get into
the campsite, so four-wheel drive was a necessity, I dropped Luke off at my
hubba’s office and Taylor and I went and picked up Jen, Marin and a TON of gear
for our 18-hour escapade, and made our way an hour south to our destination.
We drove through the
woods and over the two rivers and got to our sweet site, which was a giant
field surrounded by a beautiful stream in the middle of the Pisgah National Forest . It was perfect. And it had a bathroom. And
a water pump and picnic tables and a grill. And our car was parked right next
to where our tent went up, so it was great for the beginning camper. Because
apparently you can’t bring food into your tent because the bears will try to
get it. Um... THE BEARS WILL TRY TO GET IT. And why do people like camping so
much?
But I digress. Our
new home away from home was lovely and smelled like the woods, in a really good
Yankee-candle kind of way. And after exploring the river with the girls, we
went back to our site and watched Jen assemble the tent with just a smidge of
our help.
After we got
everything unpacked and settled, we then went on a mini-hike on the trail
surrounding our campsite. And this is how my daughter walked through the woods:
Yep. Is she not the
cutest diva hiker ever seen? She is my daughter. And even though we both prefer
the beach over the wilderness, we’re always up for an exciting new journey.
And then it was
time to join the other two families that were staying there that night by the
fire for some dinner and s’mores.
Oh, how my daughter
LOVES s’mores. As do I. And anyone else who has ever had them.
Three simple ingredients that transform into the most delectable treat ever.
Hooray for s’mores!
And then night fell
and the adults watched as the kids chased each other in the field with headlamps
and flashlights until they were all slow and cranky with one another. Which
meant it was bedtime. Which meant it was time for lots and lots of glowsticks.
And after tucking
in Taylor and Marin, Jen and I left the tent to return to the campfire for a
while more, hearing Marin excitingly ask Taylor , Hey... Do you wanna talk about stuff? It
was adorable. And I predict many future sleepovers between these two in the
years to come. But, as with most little-kid slumber parties, there was very
little sleep actually involved. In fact, I’m pretty sure the two girls didn’t
close their eyes until around 11, and then we were up bright and early at 6. Which
meant we had two tired, manic little misses on our hands.
So we enjoyed our
breakfast and campfire coffee, and then packed up our gear and headed to a
waterfall a few minutes away. We had originally planned on doing a hike before
driving back to Asheville , but the girls were exhausted. So we made
the short trek down some stairs at Looking Glass Falls and basked in all its
beauty.
And then we made
our hour long journey back home. We were all groggy, smelled like campfire and
still had bits of marshmallow stuck in our hair. But it was unanimous that it
was an awesome time. And after waking from our two hour nap that afternoon, I
immediately started researching tents for our next camping trip. Who knew
sleeping on the ground could be THAT fun? And a big thanks to Jen and Marin for
inviting us to go with them... It was an adventure we will never forget.










5 comments:
Oh how I wish I could have been there! Next time I visit we'll have to go, okay? Sleeping in nature is one of my all-time favorite things. I love waking up as the sun starts rising, unzipping the tent zipper, and watching the mist rise off the dewy grass. Ah. I am one happy camper, and this post made me feel like I was right there with you!
Yay camping! We LOVE it, in our family! And I loved this post... it truly did make me feel as though we were right there... or at least, in the rowdy crowd at the next camp over! ;)
you ladies are two brave mamas... I don't think I could have done that, I am not a nature girl.. damn allergies prevent me from enjoying the outdoors, but it always looks so fun! Way to go ladies!
So fun! And a perfect short little getaway!
You know, the kids and I are going to the Hills with my parents this summer! Though my parents don't camp anymore, I am exctited to get up there and smell some pines. And to take my kids around the same places that I spent my childhood vacations.
I chuckle when I think about that teeny tiny pillow that you brought with for our camping. And when I saw that picture of Taylor divahiking, I thought of us on that Hills trip stopping to take "Senior Picture" posed photos in front of the scenery!
I just caught up on my Famous Amys'. No nature for us either..when the Jesnen's go camping we go visit and do the campfire thing and then drive home and sleeep snug in our beds:)
Post a Comment