And believe it that
I literally stopped mid-stride and got all hushed and said, How do you know?
Like, Don’t toy with me, Mom. This is SERIOUS STUFF.
Because for the
past eight months I have talked to my sister at least five days out of the
week, and about 72-percent of all our conversations have revolved around her
becoming a MOTHER. It is the absolute most earth-shattering thing that can ever
happen to you. And the thought of my sister experiencing that insanely overwhelming
moment of finally meeting her baby made me so happy I’d just randomly burst
into a smiles over it. Libba! A Mom! A brand new baby! Awesome!
So getting this
phone call of course made my heart leap into my throat. Mom then followed those
powerful words with: But I think she’s
mad at me. And I was all, WHAT’S GOING ON? And Mom informed me that Lib had
just talked to her on the phone and she thought that she might have broken her
water and that she was going to the hospital to get everything checked out. And
then in Mom’s excitement, she messaged my Dad and her sister Jane who each then
sent a text to Libba. And because my sister was right in the thick of thinking
I AM ABOUT TO PUSH A BABY OUT OF ME! she snapped back at my Mom saying MOM! I
am not even sure I’m in labor now! Don’t tell anyone!
And I totally
remember from my first pregnancy that fear that I’d get all worked up only to
have them turn you away at Labor and Delivery with false labor. And I knew
Libba was scared this wasn’t IT. But if her water was really breaking, then it
was IT. And what Mom described about Lib to me was the same situation I had
going into labor with Luke. SO THIS IS IT! At least in my mind I convinced
myself it was.
But after hearing
how she snapped at my Mom, I was too scared to actually call her at that
moment. You don’t want to upset a pregnant lady, especially one who’s having
contractions. So while sitting in our driveway I frantically sent her a text,
knowing her phone was in her hand, and this was the exchange:
Me: Just heard from Mom and very anxious to talk
to you but don’t want to bother you. Sounds like same thing I had with Luke.
Her: We’re going to L&D to get checked and
will let everybody know then.
Yeah. She was
FREAKING OUT. And about two minutes after sending that she called me en route
and just explained what was going on. She sounded very excited, but trying hard
to feign indifference just in case this was a false alarm. And I got that. So I
just reminded her how much I loved her and how amazing she was and how that if
this was IT that she was totally gonna rock it.
But of course from
that moment on, I just knew that IT was happening. My sister was in LABOR! The
baby was coming. And I had this overpowering feeling that I needed to go see
them. So when Dirk finally messaged me a few hours later to confirm that, Yes,
Lib’s water had broken and that Baby South was coming soon, I immediately
called Chris at work and let him know what was going on. And when he responded
with, Well, YOU should be there! I cried out, YES! I REALLY WANT TO BE THERE!
And he answered back, I’ll be home in an hour. Start packing.
And, OH MY
GOODNESS!, you better believe I worked magic in those next sixty minutes. I
finished my grocery shopping, made the kids lunch, threw clothes in a bag and
even managed to shower, and then I kissed everyone goodbye and thanked Chris
about a billion times. I had never planned on being able to be there with my
sister for this life-changing moment. And the fact that I was going to be
meeting my niece in just hours made my heart leap into my throat.
So I may have sped
just a tad on the five and a half hour journey. I was smart. But I was FAST.
And I didn’t have anybody in the car with me, so the stops were limited. I kept
getting text updates from Dirk on Lib’s progress, that I had to read and
respond to with SIRI – See! I am a smart driver! – but I was able to keep
conversations with both Mom in Iowa and Lib’s bestie, Mary Claire, whom kept me
in the loop.
As I crossed into Georgia , Lib got her epidural. She was dilated to
seven centimeters as I sat in Atlanta rush hour traffic. By the time I got to the
Alabama border, she was ready to start pushing and
they both turned their phones off. And then the next hour and a half were the
longest ever. I got into Birmingham only to get stuck in another time zone’s
after-work traffic, and while stuck on 459, I finally got the call from my Mom
that Parker Grace Blackwell South had been born. And that she was perfect.
As planned, I
detoured to my Aunt Jane’s house, which was minutes from the hospital, and had
a celebratory glass of wine with her and my cousins, Sarah and Matt. I was
vibrating with excitement and anticipation in seeing my sister and meeting my
niece. So when I finally got a message from Dirk saying they were ready for
company, I almost jumped out of my skin.
And I when I walked
into their room and saw my sister holding a two-hour old precious little baby,
I burst into tears. And just thinking about that moment right now, where I met
Parker Grace and seeing my little sister become a mother still brings tears to
my eyes. Libba had never looked more beautiful, and both her and Dirk were so
happy that their smiles were radiating throughout the room.
Oh Parker! She is
so precious. And so tiny. A mere six pounds, nine ounces, little Sweet P was
officially the tiniest newborn I had ever held. But she already had me wrapped
around her teeny little finger.
It was an amazing
weekend. And I felt so blessed to be able to be there and experience it with my
sister and Dirk. Their lives are forever changed in the most wonderful, tremendous
way possible, and I am lucky in that I get to say that I was there for it. And
I will always be grateful that I was able to share in that moment. Thank you,
South Family! I love you to the moon and back!





4 comments:
I'm crying reading this through your perspective. I don't think I'll ever get tired of reliving that day :)
awesome.. no other words but awesomeness
What a sweet post, Brooke! You are going to be one amazing aunt!
You're an awesome sister. And will be an awesome aunt, also. It's so special that you could be there right away
And kudos to Chris for getting home from work so you could work your SuperMama powers and bust our of town so quick!
Post a Comment