Sunday, March 16, 2008

Chris's last hoorah

We were lucky to have our long-time friend Robert visit us this weekend from San Francisco. He had a corporate meeting in Columbia during the week, and then was kind enough to make the two-hour trip up to the mountains to see us. Robert & Chris have known each other since they were in high school at Cedar Falls, lived together for three years in Iowa City, and he was a groomsman at our wedding. He is a great friend and it is always wonderful to spend time with him. Unfortunately, the weather was pretty crummy this weekend and we spent the majority of the time eating, watching the Travel Channel and trying to separate Ruby from Robert’s lap. She just L-O-V-E-S company and isn’t satisfied until she has smelled every square inch of you and licked your face a few times. Sorry, Robert… I plan on training Baby to be more respectful of our houseguests’ personal space.

Robert’s visit also coincided with me entering my last month of pregnancy. Which means that at the end of this week our baby is considered to be full-term. Which means go-time could be any-time. Which means Chris is no longer able to participate in Boy’s Night and needs to have his wits about him – aka sobriety – just in case. So, having his college drinking buddy here was a perfect time for him to get it out of his system. Trust me, folks, they did a great job. I can’t say it matched some of the throw-downs of 313 North Linn, but when I picked them up late Saturday night, they were sufficiently smiley. Next morning’s activity started a bit late with a much needed greasy diner breakfast and ended on the couch watching basketball. Of course I felt fine, but nothing makes this pregnant woman happier than biscuits and gravy followed by a nap. To cap off the visit, I forced the two cohorts to smile for a photo… and, I must say, they did a very good job hiding their hangovers.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brooke,
love the blog . . . my niece did the same thing b4 her twins were born last April . . . it's a great way to stay in touch. Jane & I are at beach w/Matt & 6 of his "buds" ... so, don't have a baby this week; but, if you do, we have our cell ph's & the land line where we are 'til Sat, 3/22, is 850-231-0045
Mike G.

Meghann Whitmer said...

Hello!! Congrats on your new baby. Get lots of rest now. We look forward to see many pics. Holstien is the same. We are just working and parenting!

Libba said...

The eyes totally give it away!

MoCos said...

Brooke:

I found your blog from Meg and Libba's. Congrats on the baby... That is exciting.. Can't wait to see your family grow from your blog! I have always loved the Young Sisters!!

Maureen Cosgrove