Thursday, August 28, 2008

Family, friends and sunsets

Alright. The suitcases are empty, fridge is full and house is sparkling. Normalcy has been restored and I can now calmly reflect on our fabulous vacation. Other than the fact that Taylor has been fussing non-stop since we got home. Correction, since the flight from hell of which I’m still unwinding from. Please Lord, let her fussing be because she’s coming down off a vacation-high. Do NOT start teething now. If I have to deal with a teething baby AND healing a hyperactive lab back to health, I’m pretty sure I’ll start having tequila with my oatmeal every morning. This could get ugly.

Back to our wonderful vacation. It was heaven for all of us. Taylor was devoured by her grandparents, Chris was able to fish with his brother and drink his weight’s worth in Michelob Golden, and I was able to get a tan and read a book without interruptions. Before this trip, I would guess that I had only spent a mere 12 hours away from my newborn in the past 4 ½ months. So with Greg and Sue wanting some alone time with their granddaughter, I was able to boat, swim and hot tub to my heart’s content. Chris and I were even able to go see a bluegrass show, drink adult beverages and stay out until 1.00 in the morning. Yeah, that’s right. We can still shake it.



It was great to see all of our extended Amys and Majeski families and introduce them to Taylor. Greg and Sue hosted a get-together of just aunts, uncles and cousins, and even though we were missing a bunch there were still about 50 people there. So I guess you could say we eased Taylor into the family. And apart from one major come-apart, she really seemed to enjoy being around everyone. Angel, Seth and their seriously cute kiddos came by for a visit later in the week, and it was nice to spend some quiet time with them and marvel how fast Aaron and Brynn are growing.



We were also lucky to have Chris’s best friend and college roommate, Ryan Larsen, and his wife, Rachel, come up from Minneapolis on Saturday. Chris and Larsen have been like peas and carrots since grade school, and in the nine years that I’ve known him he’s always been a good time. And last weekend was no exception. He and Rachel just celebrated their first wedding anniversary this month, and Chris and I have promised him that we’ll wait another 10 years before telling her all the really embarrassing stories he accumulated in college. Trust me, we have a few. But because we really, REALLY like Rachel and want her to stick around, all hilariousness will have to wait.



So it was a blast, and we're all really sad it's over. And while we're already missing our family and friends, we're also missing the fantastic sunsets. Nothing beats a sunset over the lake. All the intense colors reflecting off the glass-like water. We had amazing sunsets every night we were there. Crazy, postcard beautiful sunsets.



Pretty heavenly, huh?

2 comments:

Libba said...

That last sunset photo is Amazing (note the capital "A"?) That's right.

Jess said...

Are you sure you don't have Libba's job? Great capture of the sunset! I am glad you got to see family and friends - mom time is oh-so important. Continue to get out and enjoy yourself(yourselves) so that you are 100% charged up, or as much as you can be, with your litte babe. Or maybe I am the only one that gets shot :)