Thursday, August 6, 2009

Now all we need is a teeny-tiny pink hardhat

When Taylor was a few months old, I signed up for a free monthly magazine called Baby Talk. It’s easy to read, has lots of pictures of babies almost as cute as mine and it offers enough useful advice that I usually read it before recycling it. And even though Taylor doesn’t exactly qualify as a baby anymore, it usually has a few tidbits and guidelines for raising kids 12-18 months old. And, of course, it has the dreaded developmental chart that I always hold my breath while reading. Because, Hey, Guess what, Baby Talk? I’m new at this and sometimes have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE WHAT I’M DOING. So if she listens to Phish instead of Mozart in the car, I don’t think I’m doing any permanent damage. And if I pacify her with Cheese Its and Noggin once in while, it’s for everyone’s own good.

So in this last month’s issue, one of the developmental tips talked about having your toddler try stacking objects, like blocks, and having them use both hands to build. And because Miss Taylor can be a bit, shall we say, CRAFTY at times, I thought this would be a good exercise for us to play with her. And also, of course, because Santa brought her a set of big blocks for Christmas, and after Chris put all 250 of them together, she lost all interest in them and they had been collecting dust in the corner.

She got the hang of stacking the blocks pretty fast, but by the time I grabbed my camera, she had already caught a case of the wiggles and was ready to move to her next toy. But this is what I got:



So I know what you’re thinking - She’s gonna be an architect. Or, most likely, in demolition. Which is probably a direct result of her listening to Phish instead of Mozart in the car.

4 comments:

leynahanson. said...

Maybe something in Art Deco?! Plus it looks like she already figured out one of kids' most coveted treasures...demolition is way more fun =)

elizabeth said...

ava just made me replay this video over and over for the last 10 minutes...she said that Taylor keeps making a mess mommy!!! haha

~Juli said...

I'm impressed with her stacking and her little noises are just precious!!

KelseyB said...

Oh yes! Leyna is right. The boys still have WAY more fun watching Shane build a tower (or a birdhouse, or tunnel or whatever) and then completely destroying it!