Wednesday, March 28, 2012

My little man and the sea. Our 2012 spring break adventure, Part 7

Within 24 hours of pulling into the parking lot at The Breakers, Luke was diagnosed with a double ear infection and it was determined that he also loathed sand and saltwater. Yes, he was still in the early stages of his antibiotics, but even after three days here whenever he would get near the beach he would scream and cling to my body like I was trying to throw him into a river of hot lava. And being the eternal optimist I am, I would turn around and stomp back to the condo, muttering things like, OH GREAT! and Wow. Aren't we going to have an awesome trip. and Way to ruin my vacation, Luke.

But then this past Monday, while enjoying an absolutely beautiful morning on the white sugar sand and my healing son was sulking on his towel underneath the umbrella, something shifted. And I don't know if it was that the meds kicked in, or if he just realized how much fun everyone else was having, but all of the sudden Luke lunged forward and crawled out of his happy, safe place into the sand. And we all held our breath and waited for him to scream and whine. But he didn't. He had a beach breakthrough.









And the rest is history.









In fact, today he ate about three heaping handfuls of the grainy goodness and then tried crawling right into the surf. He's a reformed beach-bum. And as I stripped him naked on the porch to keep the beach outside, I smiled as I shook the sand out of all his doughy crevices. Way to make my vacation, Luke.




1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Oh, I am loving all of these BEACH pictures!