Monday, September 1, 2008

First solid food. Kind of.

We gave Taylor her first bites of rice cereal last night. We were going to hold off on the solid food for a few more weeks, but my normally sleeping-through-the-night baby had been interrupting my slumber the last few nights. At first I thought it was her teeth, but whenever I would get up with her she would latch on and feed as if she hadn’t eaten in weeks. Hard to believe my 95th-percentile newborn wasn’t getting enough chow, but Mommy needs her beauty rest so let’s try some rice cereal.

First of all, what kind of CEREAL is this? After mixing it all up, it was nothing more than thickened-up breast milk. I mean, I knew we weren’t going to be feeding her Lucky Charms or anything, but I don’t know if I would consider this a SOLID food. I probably could have just put it in a bottle and fed it to her that way, but what’s the fun in that? I had already bought the itty-bitty silverware.



As you can see, she liked it. What of it we actually got in her mouth. But I’m pretty sure she was more jazzed about the spoon than the cereal. Regardless, she ate most of it, sucked down her nightly bottle and then slept through the night. Success.

6 comments:

~Amy~ said...

She looks like she couldn't wait to get another bite!! Rice cereal is a savior even tho it doesn't look or smell the greatest. It is always nice when the belly is full and mommy gets to sleep all night!! I miss these days oh so much!!! She is adorable Brooke and I love your updates!!

Stephanie said...

Yum! That's exactly how we fed Elly for a long time....Bumbo on the table. Looks like your girl was ready. Growing fast. Love the video clips!

Jess said...

I am glad she likes cereal. Kellen didn't sleep through the night until 15 months. You suck so bad but I am very happy for you :)

Libba said...

So cute the way she follows the spoon around...just like her mama! I can't wait to visit you guys next month!

KelseyB said...

She did a good job! Bring on the sweet tatos and applesauce! Items to add to the stock-pile list: papertowels, dish rags, plastic floormat. Here's to the inevitable flying food.

MoCos said...

that looks like the worst diet ever...I think the Breast milk seems more appetizing..