Friday, September 5, 2008

You got to have friends

I opened up the obstacle-course which is my house last night to have Chele, Paige and Elliot over for multiple glasses of wine and snacks. The Amys house is currently being refreshed and repaired, with Chris painting walls and making minor tweaks here and there. Nothing major, just enough to clutter spaces with brushes, tools and plastic. Add to that the quarantine-area we have made for Ruby to prevent her from jumping on the furniture and going up-and-down stairs. And now watch as I roam from room-to-room, trying not to have a heart attack because my house no longer resembles a Pottery Barn catalog. And when the yoga breathing didn’t work, I decided to have my friends over to soothe my OCD with alcohol and gossip.

We hadn’t seen each other since our spa day last month, and we were able to catch-up on all of our collective vacations, families and hectic lives. And now that Taylor is able to interact a bit more with Elliot, it was fun watching them check each other out. At first their three month age difference felt huge, but now they are starting to even-out. Soon they will be locking themselves in bedrooms to read Tiger Beat magazine and daring one another to prank-call cute boys, but for now we supervise as they grab at each other’s faces and toys. Elliot was particularly fascinated with Taylor‘s pacifier, and my daughter had no qualms with her taking it. And Paige and I were all, Look! They're already best friends. It's like Sisterhood of the Traveling Binky.



3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm looking at that second picture and I am thinking...wait til Taylor starts getting around...bye bye plants and anything else she can touch, grab, eat, pull...
I haven't had any "knick knacks" in my house in, oh, 3 years!!

Of course they will be best friends. And you will love watching them and having a friend that has a child the same age as you. No one better can identify and share stories with.

Jess said...

I love to watch Kellen interact with kids his age because it is such a rarity at our house. He is stuck with his parents and Siam. I still cringe to see Kellen take a drink out of another child's sippy cup, drop his pacifier, etc - only because he gets sick with one ounce of exposure. They say you become less obsessed with more children. Sounds like you are doing a good job already! :)

Jess said...

By the way, I am very glad that Ruby is doing good. Pets are so important in our lives!
Good luck with the painting project!