Sunday, November 28, 2010

A day of thanks

Chris, Taylor and I were extremely happy to be able to spend Thanksgiving with family this year. Living so far away from our families, we always feel very blessed to have our loved ones come to the mountains of North Carolina and visit us. We’ll take company whenever we can get them and for however long they can stay. Just throwing that out there to all of our extended families looking for a break from the harsh northern winter this season. It’s always sunny in Asheville.

So a month ago it was decided that the Blackwell family would be escaping Birmingham and coming to the mountains for the Thanksgiving holiday, overtaking my great aunt Lula Rose’s house in Cashiers. And because Asheville is only an hour and fifteen minutes from Cashiers, Libba and Dirk opted to stay with the Famous Amys crew for the holiday weekend and we would all travel south for the day of Thanksgiving.

And what a wonderful day we all had together! Great company and amazing food. We were even able to talk to those who couldn’t join us through many telephone calls and an impromptu iChat with my parents in Iowa.



And because she was on all of our minds that day and with us in spirit, I brought Gomar’s apron down from my house to help send the positive gourmet vibes to bless our meal.





And while waiting for all the wonderfulness to bake to perfection, Libba even gave her goddaughter her very first photography lesson. Which, considering the value of the camera, was cute to watch but made me super nervous.





And after stuffing ourselves silly, we all posed for a family photo.



And then, after Miss Taylor went down for her nap, some of us went on a nice walk to help burn off some of the five-thousand calories we had just devoured.









So as you can see, it was a wonderful, blessed day. I am very thankful for everyone I got to spend time with and all of the family I was able to speak to. And the delicious food and gorgeous views were just a bonus.

5 comments:

~Juli said...

What a nice family Thanksgiving for you, and Brooke, you look beautiful!! So fun to see that baby belly :)

Libba said...

I had such a great time. I'm still having a holiday hangover :(

elizabeth said...

i love all of your photos...you look great btw =) libba and dirk look so cute in that last photo too...so cute!

KelseyB said...

Great photos! Glad you soaked in some family time this holiday. PS: we made the turkey hats, too! They were a hit!

leynahanson. said...

love love love the last two photos =)